Saturday, May 30, 2020

Review: The Night Eternal

The Night Eternal The Night Eternal by Guillermo del Toro
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Going into this third book, I honestly expected it to be closer to a four or five star book...

I had just gotten through the slog of the Silmarillion which I enjoyed but anyone who has read it and will speak honestly about it will say it's not much of a page turner. What I enjoy about the Strain books is that they are quick reads. I can also stop randomly mid-page to take care of real life stuff and come right back to the books without trying to retrace in my mind what was going on. It's all very simple and it works.

The third book has a two year time jump, and right away the whole story has gone to pieces. There's kind of a love triangle thing going but not a real love triangle at that point. People flip flop their allegiances. Without the old man to lead things, you really miss his presence because all of these supposedly smart and clever people suddenly are doing rash and irresponsible things. Yes, the world is changed, but...meh. And the closer I got to the end of the book it slowly started becoming a chore as I realized overall I didn't really care how things turned out for everybody. The last 30 pages were probably the hardest. It's a shame because you have two books which are mostly great..and then you have this one which suddenly loses it's soul. I'd say it's worth two stars..maybe almost three.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment