Saturday, May 30, 2020

Review: A Face Without a Heart

A Face Without a Heart A Face Without a Heart by Rick R. Reed
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

For those of you who saw the movie "Beastly" and liked it, this is the book for you.

It's a modernized version of the Picture of Dorian Gray with a drag queen named Henrietta whose humor makes up for the lack of Wilde himself writing this book. Yes, I'm aware. The main character, the handsome Dorian of this story, is oddly named Gary. Maybe because of how close it is to Gray? Gary doesn't scream hunky guy. He's perfection personified. Despite the brief backstory we get in one of the earlier chapters, I still don't understand how someone described such as he doesn't have any friends he hangs out with or people he socializes with. He meets Liam and suddenly Liam is his best friend. Then Henrietta. You don't see the relationships develop because the time jumps around to get to that point.

I thought there'd be something more about Liam going on with the holographic painting deal. When we get to the wish which sets the downfall in motion, Gary comments on how it seemed Liam was engulfed in shadows. I was expecting him to somehow know about the curse and how everything was going to go horrible for Gary. It didn't work out that way.

Gary, once he became the prime jerk of the universe, was very intolerable.

As I pointed out, this is on the Beastly level of adaptations. It's not bad but did we really need it?

I'm curious to see, because I did like the different characters, other stuff the author has done.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment