Saturday, May 30, 2020

Review: The Beast, and Other Tales

The Beast, and Other Tales The Beast, and Other Tales by Jóusè d'Arbaud
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I found myself having to do some research on the author to try to muster up some encouragement over this book. It has received a lot of praise in it's original form. The translation also is supposedly spectacular. I myself did not enjoy it beyond the first story in the collection, the one whose title graces the cover. I was surprised at how short each story was, and how abrupt they ended. I can see why other people feel this is a great work which I do not disagree with. For someone like me, it didn't capture my attention too well. Perhaps on a different day. Overall, I'd say read it for the first story and if you liked that one, give the second a chance. The others don't hold up as well. It's quick enough to make you feel like you haven't wasted your time is you dislike it.

Also noted: This book is retailing for $19.99? For how short it is, and how I gauged it...I don't think it's likely I'd been willing to shell out $5.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment