Saturday, May 30, 2020

Review: Hockey in the Wild

Hockey in the Wild Hockey in the Wild by Nicholas Oldland
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Beaver wants to go swimming in the lake but it's frozen over! So what should he do? Call his buddies Moose and Bear to come play Hockey instead. This is a cute story that I found myself smiling at on multiple occasions. First of all, let me digress. I live in Florida. We have Hockey teams but they are mainly second nature to us. I am from New York though, so I do have a passion for it which is why this book jumped out at me. All that being said, I think the book is stylized enough where children that don't have a connection to Hockey would still think it was a fun book. Which is why I bring all of this up. It's a great example of not being exposed to something, but still being able to enjoy it.

The Artwork! Credit where credit is due: how clever! Some of these scenes, like the bear eating pizza while the moose lounges on the couch or when all three animals are halfway through the ice..those are so memorable. So is the beaver in the speedo. This is something I can see kids running to the classroom shelves and picking up to read at their desk.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment