Saturday, May 30, 2020

Review: Dot Con: The Art of Scamming a Scammer

Dot Con: The Art of Scamming a Scammer Dot Con: The Art of Scamming a Scammer by James Veitch
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Dot Con is a collection of emails between comedian James Veitch and different spam senders. I've got to say, I'm a little disappointed. I'm a fan of stand up comedy and when I saw this book I immediately remembered who James was so I jumped at the chance to get my hands on this. There's nothing new here. If you've seen any of his shows, you aren't going to discover America for the first time or strike oil. Which isn't to say that the book is bad. It's dated. Is it still fun reading about how angry the spammers get when James goes off script and starts making them do things they don't want to? Yes. There's a lot of very similar emails in this short book that by the end, which you'll get to in under an hour for sure, it feels too redundant. The exchanges start lacking the finesse.

And I also always believe this guy to be the spider email guy. Then I'll remember that that's David Thorne.

If you are newer to comedy and have never heard of James Veitch, you would get a kick out of this. For someone like myself, it was like re-watching a comedy special where you knew all the jokes.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment