Thursday, July 2, 2020

Review: The Court of Miracles

The Court of Miracles The Court of Miracles by Kester Grant
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Les Miserables is one of the greatest works of literature in all of history. Arguably, the greatest. The Odyssey? That was a fun romp. War and Peace? Not enough Napoleon. The Bible? Dated. Moby Dick? Thanks for reminding me I can't swim. But Les Miserables...that is a book I would be buried with. It is a warm spot in my mostly calloused soul.

When I saw that Kester Grant had written a book called The Court of Miracles and that within its description were the words Les Miserables I stopped right there. I thought 'absolutely I would' as I rushed to the nearest ordering site, not caring about the huge to be read stack I had recently developed because between myself and Les Miserables there is very little else aside from time periods, and countries, and talent, and reality versus a work of fiction. Give me that French Lit, damn it!

The Court of Miracles takes reimagined Les Miserables characters and mixes them in with the Court of Miracles' underworld from the Hunchback of Notre Dame. There's a touch of The Jungle Book of which I don't know if that goes beyond the villain being known as The Tiger. As well supposedly there are comparisons to something known as the Six of Crows which I've not read nor need to because oh my God, did you not hear that this involves Les Miserables? Thank you. People, we do not need to go further.

I will. I like talking.

This is not your verbatim Les Miserables. Ultimately the work has been deconstructed and characters, places, and events have morphed to fill their own story. I debated with myself whether this book needed to use those same characters or if it would work as an original piece of its own. If you changed the names I wouldn't say the story would have been hurt at all. Then I realized that by invoking those characters it made something magical and it does enhance the story.

Les Miserables is memorable for its wide breadth of characters, among other things. It was an interesting choice to not feature Thenadier's wife in this and instead make Azelma an older sister instead of younger. It is an important change as her actions set our plot in motion. Thenadier I will never imagine as anyone else but Alun Armstrong. There is a layer of shadiness to the character that doesn't come across in the musical as much as it does in the book so I appreciate Kester for bringing that side of the character to the forefront. Valjean is included as well but he is not our star this time around. He has his moments and one great scene for comic relief later on with Ettie, who is our Cosette. You're probably wondering about Javert who is such a shining and I guess you could say falling star of the original. Maybe you are imagining Philip Quast or Nieves who was the kid who portrayed Javert in my High School's musical production. You couldn't be more off. Javert in this version of the story is...Gender Swapped! And rightfully so. The original Les Miserables was very masculine and very white and there's not necessarily anything wrong with that for what it was but the world isn't copy and paste. I understand that it might be a historical inconsistency by having a female inspector in Paris at that time but I don't know that for certain and this is a work of fiction so let's suspend our technicalities.

The heartbreaking and widely unappreciated Eponine becomes here a strong, thriving woman who finally gets her due. We forget how in Les Miserables Eponine starts with fancy dresses and somewhat of a luxurious life at the inn, compared with the treatment of Cosette that is, and then becomes rags, bones, and a secondhand thought. Hers is a story of unrequited love and sorrow. I personally am so happy that she was the choice of the main character here. I think it also says something that in facing the abuse they grew up with the only option of escape is to join a criminal society made up of the Wretched of Paris.

Notably absent is Fantine, who is kind of mentioned but unimportant, and Marius.

Thank God.

In Les Miserables, it is the story that revolves around Marius that is fascinating and nothing about Marius himself. The sections on his Grandfather, Father, and Thenadier's Coat. The sections on the revolution and the barricade. Even in his own love story, he is the weakest part. Kester obviously saw this and did a whole CeeLo style Forget You to his character. And we don't even miss him.

I am not a fan of love stories. I make this very clear. Don't worry, I have four kids and earned at least three of them. As happy as I was about Marius not being included, Kester triples the dosage and gives Eponine three suitors to choose from. Now, in all fairness, Montparnasse is involved with Eponine in the original book as well but it's not much of a highlight in the story especially in the shadow of the love triangle between Eponine, Cosette, and Marius. His character resides mainly in the background compared with everyone else. I LOVE that Kester pulls him forward and makes him a Master of the Guild of Assassins. It is the perfect role for him. He's creepy in that thrilling, dangerous sort of way.

Another suitor is the Dauphin. Early in The Court of Miracles, Eponine steals one of the Crown Jewels from his neck while he is sleeping. He awakens and she hastily kisses him as a distraction. Their fates dictate numerous encounters and we discover that not only has he always kept thinking about her but he does so every night. Comme c'est scandaleux! Garcon Pervers!

Our third choice is Enjoras who takes the Marius vacancy but fills it with courage and steel determination as the leader of the doomed students. A moment later on sees the Little Fall of Rain scene from the musical turned on its head. Don't expect the obvious as multiple characters have their parts traded to different results. I'll also point out here that Gavroche isn't a blood relation to Eponine in this reimagining but does have a moment on the barricade. Both Enjoras and the Dauphin serve as comic relief in their multiple run-ins with Eponine whereas Montparnasse is in another league. Almost literally as he's a killer.

Luckily for me, these relationships aren't as integral to the story as the Cosette - Marius pairing from the original. There isn't a one-and-only true love/this is our destiny story. I have a much higher tolerance for Eponine. No gagging required.

The Court of Miracles gets me excited. I was truly hoping for an appearance by Clopin Trouillefou for a complete Hugo crossover experience. If I trust anyone to do it, it would be Kester. That isn't the case here but it was truly wonderful being among the Wretched. This is a retelling of Classic Historical Fiction but Fantasy Genre fans will be all over the Guilds. I can already picture the Which Guild Do You Belong To quizzes and the additions to everyone's Twitter Profiles. They are (The Guilds of) Beggars, Assassins, Mercenaries, Chance, Smugglers, Letters, Thieves, Flesh, and Dreamers. Each Guild has a Lord or Lady in Charge followed by a Master. The Guild leaders offer protection and strength to their members. Members are not permitted to enter the houses uninvited or even know their locations. They also are not allowed to physically attack a member of another Guild as it will be considered an act of war. Having the protection of a Guild is major.

We spend most of our time with the Beggars and Assassins, the Ghost, and the Bats. The Thieves Guild which featured prominently in the beginning serves mainly as background to Eponine being a Thief. One of my surprises was that Femi, who is a Messenger allowed to travel to all of the Guilds, isn't a major player in our story. He brings Eponine to the Guild initially and then makes three or four short appearances later on. I assumed as he was close to Azelma that he would remain important. Lord Orso of the Ghost, a.k.a. the Dead Lord, is fantastic. After this first book, I believe the Ghost are my favorite of all the Guilds. Of the Assassins, Montparnasse of course is great but Lady Corday is mesmerizing.

The monster of our story is the Tiger. It would have been easy to put the Valjean/Javert narrative at the forefront but their quarrel is yet to be fully explored. I say yet because I am demanding a sequel. Many sequels. And organizing sit-ins and protest until the publisher gives in and manufactures syringes full Court of Miracles Serum because I do believe I am an addict spawned from my love of Hugo and the incredible talent of Kester Grant.

Pause. Breathe. Finger Snap. Back to the Review.

The Tiger was sold by his father when he was younger and grew up into a ruthless slave trader. Eventually, in an act of proud defiance, he demanded to be one of the Lords of the Miracle Court but there was no Guild for him to control. He was spoken against by the Lady of the Flesh Guild and organized a plot to overthrow her. Ultimately he alone breaks the laws that all the Guilds agree upon and everyone fears him except for Orso who is the one Lord that is willing to stand against him openly. This is all backstory I'm giving you. These characters are very developed.

The plot of the Court of Miracles sees Eponine first attempt to trade Cosette for her older sister but in finding herself unable to condemn her to that life seeks to protect her from the Tiger. It is a whirlwind of a book which sees a new rebellion rise in France, Guilds pitted against one another, and finally Eponine getting the recognition she deserves. The Court of Miracles not only reimagines but also reinvents 1828 Paris. It is exciting and fresh. Most importantly, this is a book that a new generation of readers will appreciate and feel inspired by. If they decide to go back and read the books that influenced this one, all for the better. I'm glad for it to have crossed my path and will be following Kester Grant at a distance of Six Feet because that is all the Government permits us to at this time.

*And yes, that was a suicide reference.
** I try to always use the Author's last name while writing reviews as I believe it is more respectful and professional but felt Kester flowed with the sentences better than Grant. Please forgive me.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment